Tag Archives: Jonathan

Falana Backs Jonathan, Wants Obasanjo Probed

26 Dec

Femi Falana

Femi Falana

Constitutional lawyer and human rights activist, Chief Femi Falana (SAN) yesterday commended President Goodluck Jonathan for reeling out a detailed letter in response to the missive written by former President Olusegun Obasanjo to him. Accordingly, he told the president to direct the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to reopen investigation into the Halliburton Scandal, Siemens Scandal and other corruption cases involving Obasanjo.

In a statement he personally issued on Monday, Falana also urged President Jonathan to sack his Aviation Minister, Princess Stella Oduah following her indictment in the alleged financial irregularities in the purchase of two bullet-proof cars to the tune of N225 million by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) for the minister.

“In this regard, since the Aviation Minister, Ms Stella Oduah has been unanimously indicted by the presidential panel of inquiry, the EFCC and the Aviation Committee of the House of Representatives for illegally allocating N643 million for the purchase of two armoured cars, President Jonathan should remove her from office without any further delay”, he stated. Specifically, the legal luminary lauded the president for his decision “to request the National Human Rights Commission to investigate the allegation that snipers are being trained and armed to annihilate political opponents in the country”.

He, however, said “the investigation should cover the Killer Squad set up by Sani Abacha’s murderous regime whose members were not disarmed and de-mobilised by the Olusegun Obasanjo administration”. Falana also urged Jonathan to ensure that the allegations of official corruption and politically motivated killings are not swept under the carpet.

Aside 7 Oct

ImageAlh. Kawu Baraje led-factional PDP has directed the remaining G7 governors who are yet to embark on Haji in Mecca who include Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State, Alh. Babangida Aliyu of Niger State and Alh. Kwankwaso of Kano State to meet President Goodluck Jonathan by 9am on 7th October, 2013in Abuja to formally obtain permission from Mr. President to shift the meeting date to a more convenient date pending the return of all their leaders from Haji operation.

The spokesman to the breakaway PDP Eze Chukwuemeka Eze made this known in a short online statement on the night of 6th October, 2013 saying, “Shifting the meeting to morning period is to allow the mentioned Governors apart from Gov Amaechi to travel to Mecca later in the day of 7thOctober, 2013 for the Haji operation”

The nPDP noted that the latest was taken because of the plea by President Jonathan and the respect they have for his office.

In the meantime, Alhaji Baraje-led Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has demanded for the immediate resignation of Alhaji Bamanga Tukur for not being a registered and card-carrying member of the party and has no business being its National Chairman.
The splinter PDP noted that Alhaji Tukur was expelled from the PDP in 2006 with nine others following disciplinary action taken against them for anti-party activities and since then, he has not officially returned to the party.

“All the records at our disposal show that Alhaji Tukur has not followed due process for his readmission into the party. He neither apply for, nor obtained the requisite waiver by the National Executive Committee of the party before offering himself for election into the office of National Chairman in 2012. This makes his membership incurably defective and his emergence as PDP’s National Chairman null and void and of no effect whatsoever since he is the product of a flawed process” the nPDP argued.

Continuing, the nPDP said, “All the actions he has taken as the Chairman of PDP since his purported election in March 2012, including the illegal, contentious convention of August, 2013, are null and void and of no effect”. 

Rest of the statement reads:

“Reliable information reaching us from the PDP National Secretariat indicates that Alhaji Tukur is desperately seeking a way out of his predicament and has set about falsifying party records with regard to revalidating his membership through the back door. We wish to put him on notice that this is criminal and we hope he understands the consequences of his actions.

“In this regard, Alhaji Tukur’s continued occupation of the Office of PDP National Chairman is clearly fraudulent, illegal and unconstitutional.

“We hereby urge Alhaji Tukur to tow the path of honour and throw in the towel. This is the best option open to him. However, since one man cannot hold the party and the entire nation hostage, should he fail to heed our advice, we would have no other option than to appeal to both the Presidency and the PDP leadership to ease him of the party in the most diplomatic way to avoid hurting him so much considering his age, zeal and commitment to serve the party by offering a Ministerial post to him. This is a good opportunity for the Presidency to demonstrate if it is serious about restoring peace and unity to the party. 

“We hereby formally suggest the immediate recall of Alhaji Abubakar Kawu, who erroneously handed over to Alhaji Bamanga Tukur as the National Chairman of PDP, thinking he was a member of the party. This will enable Alhaji Kawu to organise a proper, unified convention that will usher in a duly elected National Working Committee of the party as early as possible to enable us face the business of positioning PDP as the ruling party come 2015. 

“It will also pave the way to restore PDP’s past glory based on the visions of the founding fathers of the party.

“A word is enough for the wise”.


2015 – DON’T RUN, Abubakar Baraje led NEW PDP tells Jonathan

25 Sep


The Abubakar Baraje led Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has called on President Goodluck Jonathan not to seek re-election in 2015.

The faction said it decided to advise Jonathan after reviewing the state of the nation and the pulse of Nigerians on his ambition to contest the poll, saying doing so would be against the interest of the country and its people.


In a statement issued on Tuesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Chukwuemeka Eze, the party noted that the President has given enough clue of his intention to run, even although he has not declared it openly.


“The latest of such clues came on Sunday in New York, United States. Speaking at a luncheon with Nigerian professionals in the U.S, President Jonathan insisted that he is eligible to contest in 2015 as we have a constitution that makes a provision for a maximum of eight years for anyone who wants to become a president or a governor,” the faction said.


Baraje observed that the President had made a similar statement in April 2012, in an affidavit in response to a suit instituted at an Abuja High Court by a PDP chieftain, Cyriacus Njoku, seeking to stop him from contesting the 2015 presidential election.


“We are worried that Mr. President is intent on running despite his earlier promise not to do so and in spite of the wise counsel of well-meaning Nigerians, including respected elder statesmen.

The faction reminded Jonathan of a statement he made in Ankara, Turkey in February 2011, during an interactive session with Nigerians and diplomats working in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the African Union (AU).


The statement quoted Jonathan thus: “I would have loved that the Nigerians in Diaspora vote this year (2011) but to be frank with you, that is going to be difficult now. Presently, the law does not allow the voting outside Nigeria and so this year Nigerians in Diaspora will not vote but I will work towards it by 2015 even though I will not be running for election.”

It also quoted the President to have said further, “Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can’t improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years.”


The faction said there was no way the President could deny his own statements at this point in time, since he failed to deny the statements over the past two years.


“How does Mr. President want Nigerians and the entire world to see him for this volte face? Why can’t he keep his words as a man of honour instead of allowing himself to be misled by selfish advisers to go back on his words, thereby overheating the polity,” the statement added.

Obasanjo, Jonathan Strike Deal To Make Andy Uba Anambra Governor

23 Aug

Peter Obi and Andy Uba

A huge political tension has developed in Anambra State over a deal struck between former President Olusegun Obasanjo and President Goodluck Jonathan to impose Senator Andy Uba as the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party as well as the next governor of Anambra.

Several sources in Abuja and within Anambra State told SaharaReporters that Mr. Obasanjo was one of the architects of the plan to make Mr. Uba governor. A PDP executive in Abuja disclosed that the Uba deal was one of the conditions given by former President Obasanjo to settle a rift between him and Mr. Jonathan.

In addition, Mr. Jonathan has told his associates that he needs Mr. Uba in control of Anambra in order to guarantee him a landslide victory in the state come the 2015 presidential election. “The president wants to ensure that he carries Anambra and other southeast states,” said a source. “That’s why he needs Chief Uba to be in charge.”

Mr. Jonathan’s administration has been under fire from former President Obasanjo, who has expressed dissatisfaction with the incumbent president’s performance. Mr. Obasanjo has also told his associates that he was seriously considering the option of backing a northern candidate to run against Mr. Jonathan in the 2015 presidential election.

“I can tell you that nothing scares President Jonathan more than Chief Obasanjo’s ability to marshal forces, within Nigeria and abroad, against him,” said a source who is close to the current president. “He has been so jittery ever since Baba [Obasanjo] started launching his attacks. That’s why he quickly agreed when Chief Obasanjo told him that Andy must become the new governor of Anambra.”

Many top political sources within the PDP and the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) told SaharaReporters that President Jonathan has enlisted the hierarchy of both parties in the scheme to put Mr. Uba into the governor’s seat in Anambra by hook or crook. In meetings with Governor Obi and other PDP and APGA interests, Mr. Jonathan instructed that all steps be taken to ensure that Mr. Uba’s enthronement as the next governor becomes a success.

But the plan is being stoutly resisted, according to a spokesman for a coalition of interests from across different political parties, including PDP members. “Obasanjo couldn’t help his daughter carry his own polling station in Ogun State, but he thinks he can choose who will be our governor in Anambra,” said the man, who in a telephone conversation declared that his anti-Uba coalition was confident of resisting both Obasanjo and Jonathan. “Our people voted solidly for President Jonathan in 2011. Yet, instead of treating us with the respect we deserve, he sits in Abuja and wants to dictate who will rule us. Their evil scheme will fail.”

According to several of our sources, the recent upheaval in APGA was part of the plot to clear the way for Mr. Uba to coast to the governorship. Last week, APGA announced the disqualification of Charles Soludo, a former Central Bank Governor, Oseloka Obaze, an erstwhile top aide to Governor Peter Obi, as well as other key governorship contenders. “The [disqualifications] were part and parcel of a deal to ensure that Chief Andy Uba becomes the next person to rule Anambra,” said a longtime member of APGA.

Several sources revealed that Governor Obi was previously interested in supporting either Mr. Obaze, a lawyer and retired employee of the United Nations, or former banker, Willie Obiano, to succeed him. SaharaReporters also gathered that APGA chairman, Victor Umeh, once backed Mr. Soludo for the governorship. A source said the former CBN governor, who recently resigned from the PDP and registered as a member of APGA, had provided substantial cash to Mr. Umeh to help run the party.

However, both Mr. Soludo and Mr. Obaze became casualties of President Jonathan’s decision to appease Obasanjo as well as position a dependable ally in Anambra. Several sources revealed that Mr. Jonathan and his associates felt that neither Mr. Soludo nor Mr. Obaze could be fully trusted to help him in 2015. In addition, Mr. Jonathan and his team dread the prospects of Senator Chris Ngige winning Government House, Awka. A few days ago, Mr. Ngige emerged the APC’s governorship candidate in a controversial congress that some party members described as undemocratic.

According to some sources, President Jonathan persuaded Governor Obi to abandon Obaze, his primary choice as successor. SaharaReporters learned that the Presidency also paid a huge sum of money to APGA chairman, Umeh, to persuade him to back away from Mr. Soludo.

A source close to Mr. Obi revealed that the Anambra governor was “taken by surprise and is very unhappy” with the president’s advocacy for Mr. Uba. “He [Obi] wanted either Obaze or Chief Willie Obiano, but what can he do once the president has spoken?”

Of all the serious APGA aspirants, only Mr. Obiano, a respected former banking executive, survived the purge that swept away Mr. Soludo and Mr. Obaze. A source in APGA told SaharaReporters that the Presidency perhaps spared Mr. Obiano because they saw him as a political push-over who would be easily rigged out by the PDP machinery. But the source added that both Mr. Obiano and Mr. Ngige would beat Mr. Uba in any free-and-fair contest in Anambra.

One of the members of the emerging anti-Uba group told SaharaReporters that the PDP would have had an uphill task winning an election in Anambra even with a good candidate. “But when it becomes clear to our [Anambra] people that Obasanjo and Jonathan are engineering Andy as our next governor, more of our people will rise in stout opposition.”

A PDP member of the coalition vowed that the people of Anambra were tired of what he called “the politics of imposition.” “Don’t forget that Chief Andy Uba did not even win senatorial election. We all know that the seat he has in the Senate truly belongs to [Nicholas] Ukachukwu. I can assure you that our people still remember the role Chief Uba and Eselu [Mr. Uba’s younger brother, Chris Uba] played to destroy Anambra when Obasanjo was president. We won’t allow a partnership of Ogboni members to treat us like boy-boys,” he said.

A source within APGA told SaharaReporters that the blame for what is happening should go to Mr. Obi. “The governor disappointed us and our late leader and father, Ikemba Nnewi [Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu] when he effectively turned APGA into a branch of the PDP and an arm of the Presidency.”

Several PDP members told SaharaReporters that party officials had directly or indirectly told major governorship aspirants within their fold not to waste their money and time. “We were told not to bother spending our money, that the [governorship] ticket will be delivered to Dr. Andy Uba,” said a source who said he was mulling a run for the post. He added that other aspirants like Nicholas Ukachukwu and Annie Okonkwo had received the same message.

“Is this democracy that we are seeing in our country?” the source questioned. “Our party says nobody should run again except Andy. And the oppositions are doing the same thing. Dr. Ngige was just announced like that, without following any real democratic way.”

The source said he had heard of the group mobilizing to fight against the imposition of Mr. Uba, but said he was not a member. Asked if he would campaign for Mr. Uba, the source spoke angrily. “If they impose him, why then should I fight for him? Let those who imposed him come and fight for him.”

– SaharaReporters

%d bloggers like this: