8 Oct

ImageAt least four persons, including a Police Corporal have been confirmed dead by the Police in Akwa Ibom during a gun dwell with suspected kidnappers on Monday.

Although the Police identity was not known at the time of filling this report, Daily Champion gathered, the Policeman died in a cross-fire with the kidnappers during a combined security operation to free erstwhile Ikot Ekpene council helmsman, Hon. Usen Ekene, who was abducted by the suspected kidnappers three weeks ago.

A source, who claimed anonymity while speaking with our correspondent on the telephone in Uyo said, the council Chairman was later killed by his abductors, when the police attempted to rescue him from their custody.

It was also learnt, the kidnappers allegedly demanded for N50 million ransom to be paid before their victim could be released failure to pay before the rescue operation led to the incidental killing by the hoodlums as they sited the police squad.

Police Public Relations Officer [PPRO] and Deputy Superintendent of Police [DSP], Mr. Etim Dickson of the State Police Command, Ikot Akpan Abia confirmed the incident on the telephone.

He said, though they lost one of their men to the struggle noted that, two of the suspected kidnappers were also killed during the encounter, while a State Security personnel [SSS], and member of the joint task-force sustained serious injury.

According to the PPRO, “Well, not only the man was killed. We also lost one of our police Corporal in the process. It is a big blow; you see these are some of the things we suffer as a result.

“You know this issue of rescuing people at a joint operation. The story is true, our police, one of them died, one of the officers in the SSS who was also in the operation got injury: the two corpses of the kidnappers had been picked.

“The kidnappers had the boldness at firing at the police and the police shot their colleagues down. We were unable to rescue the man. But what I am not sure whether the man died in the process.

“What I am told is that the man is an old man, kidnapped for three weeks, keeping him in that forest, the man might have been exhausted.

“I understand from friends that they were demanding N50m which was too high, when they were calling some of his friends. The man died before they could rush him to the hospital”.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: